Texas has very strict laws against sexual assault, and getting experienced legal representation is vital if you want to prove that you don’t deserve conviction.
The most important thing to remember if you’re facing charges is to talk to an attorney before giving a statement to law enforcement. Anything you say to the police might be used against you.
Even if you are innocent, allegations of sexual assault can tarnish your reputation and affect your professional and social life. Even if you didn’t commit a crime, you could still be convicted unjustly on false charges. And even if you are partly at fault, you might be charged with much more serious crimes than you deserve. If you’re facing sexual assault charges, talk to a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Possible Defenses Under Texas Sexual Assault Law
While Texas sexual assault laws are strict, there are defenses available to people charged with sexual assault, explains HG.Legal. A criminal defense attorney can defend your case, possibly using the following defenses:
- Alibi: The defendant was not, in fact, present at the time of the alleged assault and has an alibi for the time the crime was reportedly committed
- Mistaken Identity: The victim mistook the defendant for someone else who actually committed the crime
- Inconsistencies Testimony: A criminal defense attorney will look for inconsistencies within the testimony of a witness, inconsistencies between two separate pieces of evidence and lack of evidence in the medical examination conducted right after the alleged attack.
- Questionable Behavior: A criminal defense attorney can look for evidence regarding behavior that is questionable in light of the allegations. An experienced criminal defense attorney can look for testimonies that reveal lies or conflicting information. An exposed lie can be a powerful tool in turning a case around and proving innocence.
- Consent: The alleged victim gave consent to the sexual act. The defendant did not use force or threats, or place the alleged victim under duress at the time of the alleged offense.
How To Get Help
It’s normal to feel overwhelmed and scared if you’re facing charges of sexual assault in McAllen, Texas. Proving your side of the story might feel impossible. But remember that the legal representation you deserve is available to you! There’s still time to turn your case around. With over 12 years of experience, Juan Tijerina is here to help you review all the criminal defense options available to you. The Tijerina Law Firm is your trusted source of legal advice and assistance during a time when your future is at stake! Call today for a free 30-minute consultation. For immediate assistance, you can reach our legal team at (956) 261-5609 or (512) 900-1126.
4016 N. 22nd Street
McAllen, Texas 78504
Phone: (956) 261-5609
Phone: (512) 900-1126
FAX (877) 395-1707
Se Habla Español